888-595-2747 8-5 PST M-F

Over 100,000 Entities Formed Since 1999

Click to see our ratings truspilot TrustScore 4.8 |  +2.6k reviews

We can file your registration / qualification at the Secretary of State for $99


Certificate of Qualification For Foreign Corporation To Do Business in California

Starting at $99

Qualify to do business in California today. We can help register your company to do business in a California quickly. We can file your Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation and Certificate of Qualification for you on an expedited basis.

24 hour service available.

  1. Obtain a Certificate of Status Also called a Certificate of Existence or Certificate of Good Standing from your home state. SunDoc can provide this service.
  2. Complete and sign the Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation (choose state form below).
  3. Upload or email us the documents and we will promptly file.
Get started

Click here for a Limited Liability Company.

After the filing is complete, we will obtain a California Corporation file number and obtain one uncertified copy of the Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation and a Certificate of Qualification for all foreign corporation filings at no extra charge.

California State Fees and Service Options

Name availability check: $30 for first choice plus 2 backup name choices at no extra charge (plus state fees).

California Registered Agent: $169 per year.

Obtain Required Certificate of Good Standing from the home state.

24 Hour Rush: $350 Secretary of State rush fee + $100 state filing fee. Our rush fee is an additional $100.

Routine: $115 Secretary of State fee about 5 - 7 business days. Our fee is $99.

Good Standing Certificates: $35 + state fees to obtain a Certificate of Good Standing at the time of filing.

Multi-state projects: Discounts available - call for details.

SunDoc Advantages

SunDoc's California filings provide the best value: fast and economical.

  • Great Service Since 1999

    With over 1,000 5-star reviews on Truspilot, you can be confident in working with us.

  • Same day processing

    Only if received by 2 p.m. PST. Most companies mail in your requests delaying results.

  • Experience

    Since 1999. Over 100,000 filings. Located in Sacramento.

  • Skilled Customer Service

    Our skilled customer service staff is always ready to help.

Detailed Instructions to Qualify a Foreign Corporation in California

Step 1: Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from home state or country:

If you have already obtained a Certificate of Good Standing from the company's home state that is less than 6 months old or are in the process of obtaining one, please skip this step. If you need assistance in obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing from your home state, we can assist you for an additional fee. If the corporation is a non profit, the Certificate of Existence/Certificate of Good Standing must state the corporation's non profit status or the California Secretary of State will file it as a profit corporation and require additional filing fees.

Note: If the foreign corporation is from outside the United States and the Certificate of Good Standing is in a different language, you will be required to have it translated before you can register the foreign corporation. Please contact the Secretary of State to make sure they will accept your translated Certificate of Good Standing before sending your document for filing. Call them at 916-653-3365.

Step 2: Check name availability:

Skip this step if you have already checked name availability. A foreign corporation name must be available in California or the Corporation will have to conduct business under a DBA, sometimes known as a fictitious business name. Sometimes adding the home state in front of the name will make it available. Name availability order Page

Step 3:  Complete & sign the proper state qualification form:  

Prepare the California Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation. 

Please note that we provide California registered agent services for $169 a year. For more information about California registered agent services, please click here. Please contact us and we will assist you in designating the registered agent correctly on the Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation form.

Step 4: Decide on rush or routine service?


 24 Hour Rush:  Document must be received by 3 p.m. PST on the day of the filing.  Please note, if your filing is rejected, the state will not refund the rush fee.

 Routine:  Time varies, see order page.

Document is filed: Once the document is submitted to the Secretary of State, the State will process your document. You may have to wait several months if you mail in the document.

Document is complete: We will pick up your document and immediately e-mail a copy of the filed document to you. We will return the uncertified copy via regular mail. 

Professional corporations typically have name restrictions depending upon the licensing agency (medical board, dental board, etc.). Many medical and dental corporations have specific name restrictions/ requirements that must be met. Please contact the responsible agency for further information or consult the California Corporations Code. In addition, some states allow certain professional corporation endings that California does not. Please verify that the proposed name will not conflict with the California Corporations Code or call the California Secretary of State at 916-653-3365 for further information. Unfortunately, SunDoc Filings cannot answer legal questions regarding professional names. 

Filing tips for preparing the form:

a. Read all instructions provided by the Secretary of State.
b. On line 1, type the name of the foreign corporation EXACTLY as it appears on the Certificate of Good Standing including spaces and punctuation.
Note: A foreign corporation must use its own name unless its legal name is unavailable for use in California.
c. If the legal name is not available for use in California because it conflicts with an entity that is registered with the California Secretary of State, the foreign corporation must use a DBA. If the legal name is ABC, Inc. and the corporation is going to use the name ABC Real Estate Investments, Inc., please type on the form: ABC, Inc. which will do business in California as ABC Real Estate Investments, Inc.
DO NOT type ABC, Inc. DBA Nevada ABC, Inc. or ABC, Inc. doing business as Nevada ABC, Inc. or the Secretary of State will reject your document.
d. An agent for service or process is required. An agent for service of process is the person or entity that will accept service of process on behalf of the company if the corporation is ever sued. The agent for service of process must be have a California address. If you do not have a California address or a person that can act as the agent for service of process, you can appoint a registered agent for you for a fee of $169 per year.
e. Don't forget the authorized person's title such as Vice-President, or Assistant Secretary. Shareholder or Director are not  acceptable titles to sign on a Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation.
f. Type the form. If you must hand write it, please write clearly. If the Secretary of State cannot read it, the document will be rejected and you will have to prepare a new form.

SunDoc Filings provides the above information for general guideline purposes only, it is not intended to replace professional legal, financial or tax advice. Please retain the services of lawyer or accountant to obtain current, complete and accurate information and professional recommendations pertinent to your specific business situation.