888-595-2747 8-5 PST M-F

Over 100,000 Entities Formed Since 1999

Click to see our ratings truspilot TrustScore 4.8 |  +2.6k reviews

Form a Corporation in Illinois

SunDoc's Illinois filings provide the best value: fast and economical.

  • Rush Filing Available

    No one is faster than SunDoc. We hand deliver documents to the Secretary of State in Illinois.

    • Routine: 2 - 3 Weeks returned to you filed.
    • Rush: 3 - 4 Business Days returned to you filed
  • Experience

    Since 1999. Over 100,000 filings.

  • Name Availability

    We verify with the state. Competitors just look online which can lead to rejections.

  • Delivered to State &
    Emailed Back to You

    No cost, competitors charge.

We strive for excellence.

It's no accident that we have more repeat customers than our competitors.




Peace of Mind


A+ Rating from

Experienced staff and extensive knowledge.

Great website plus great customer service equals zero frustration.

You can form a business in any of the 50 US states online, and we're standing by to help if you need it.

We've helped thousands of new businesses get off the ground.

Our staff offers valuable expertise on forming or registering a company.

We want all customers to be 100% satisfied.


How to Incorporate in Illinois

For those hoping to incorporate their businesses in the state of Illinois, we can help! SunDoc Filings offers assistance with filing incorporation paperwork in Illinois.

Below, you'll find an outline of everything you need to know about incorporation in Illinois, but remember that this article cannot be construed as professional tax, legal, or accounting advice. While it is not required that you have an attorney in order to file Illinois incorporation paperwork, if you have questions or concerns about your specific situation, always contact a licensed professional.


There are many things that you will need to know from the outset when you decide to create your new corporation. The main thing you need to have are your articles of incorporation.

In addition to this, you'll need some specific pieces of information, including an available company name, your company's corporate address, what type of corporation you want to create, how many shares you’ll be authorizing your corporation to issue, who your registered agent is, and the number of shareholders you'll have.

Outside of the filing itself, you'll need your Federal Tax ID Number (EIN) from the IRS. You'll need to know who your corporate officers are, and any directors. You'll need an initial Board of Directors meeting to adopt bylaws, which are not filed with the state but kept in your own records, and to appoint officers, who are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.


The most common type of corporation is the General Stock Corporation, with an unlimited potential number of shareholders. You may choose to be a Close Corporation, setting a limit in the articles on the number of shareholders (not to exceed 35). A Professional Corporation is mandated by Illinois for certain professionals.

You can either download minimum requirement forms from the state of Illinois, which do meet the minimum requirements of the Corporations Code of Illinois, or you can create your own documents. It's possible to hire an attorney to draw up these documents from scratch.

To illustrate: the default articles of incorporation limit the corporation to one class of shares. This can be changed in a custom document. Similarly, initial directors can be named in the articles if desired, provided that all directors are included and sign the document.

Every corporation needs to have three positions filled from the get-go. These officer positions are president, secretary, and treasurer. If you decide to do so, you can fill all of these roles yourself, or another person can fill all three roles. But it is necessary in general to have a minimum of three directors for an Illinois Corporation. If the shareholders numbers are less than three or if no shares are issued by a corporation, there are some exceptions to this rule. Unless it is within your articles, most of the time, the number and limit of directors will be listed in your bylaws.

If you need to change your articles of incorporation, you will need to file an amendment with Illinois state. In a formal meeting, you can change or amend your bylaws with a vote of your shareholders and directors.

You will need to set forth several things in your bylaws, including the powers of your directors, the methods of your meetings, and the times of your meetings. All of this must be in accordance with relevant provisions in Illinois law. Remember to keep minutes at all of your meetings. 

You will need a place to store your stack papers, company documents, meeting minutes, and bylaws. This is your Corporate Records Book. Generally speaking, your corporate kit will be customized to the state of Illinois and will be a place to compile all of the documents that help you run your corporation. If you wish, SunDoc is happy to supply you with one. For more information, go to our page, Illinois Corporate Kit.

Registered Agent

All corporations in the state of Illinois need to have a registered agent who is available during business hours and at a known address. In fact, your registered agent can be a company or an individual. The entity needs to be available in case the state needs to contact them for legal or other communications. This is another service provided by SunDoc to help you outsource your company routine. For full information, see our article: What is a Registered Agent? Why Do I Need One?

Name Search

It is required that the name you want for your new company is available according to the Secretary of State of Illinois. This is the name that will be on your articles of incorporation. Your filing will be rejected if your name has already been taken. You can also not choose names that mislead the public or that closely resemble another company's name and lead to deception. Remember that there are other statutory requirements as well. 

Both to comply with the law, and of course for your own best branding, you should spend some effort developing your company name. You can run your own name searches in the State of Illinois, or SunDoc can conduct name searches or reserve your corporation name for you.


Use form SS4 to apply for an EIN with the IRS. There is no charge for this application. SunDoc can apply for this on your behalf also. See our EIN page.

Next Steps

Read our article on C Corporation vs. S Corporation if you want general information between the two corporate tax structures.

To talk to a live voice for immediate assistance call us toll-free during business hours at 1-888-595-2747.

Ready to Incorporate?

  • 1 Check Name Availability

    Choose three names in order of preference and we will check availability.

  • 2 Prepare or Upload your Articles

    Our online form describes all required information.

  • 3 Specify Service Level and Options

    Select a filing package or choose from the menu options.


I initially ordered with LegalZoom for their expedited package but they said there is going to be a delay for a month! They kept giving me excuses about the backlog, blah blah blah. I had to get this LLC set up ASAP so I contacted SunDoc and they got it done for me in 24 hours! What a difference. I am very happy and will never go back to LegalZoom again. Great job SunDoc!

Chris W.

I've been forming entities with SunDoc Filings for years. They are incredible! Mainly because of their personal touch and customer service. They actually have a human answer the phone lol. In a world of automation and AI this company remains personal and human. They get the job done quickly and effectively every single time. I will never use another company when registering my companies.

Dion McIntosh Founder DearAmyBand.com

Kylene, Tressa & Sheila ROCK !!! We sent a name reservation last week and within 10 minutes the name reservation was completed. The next day we sent in a rush order and within 24 hours the entity was created !! Wow !! Thank You & you gals ROCK !!

Marc Vigil - Enrolled Agent - CEO - Budget Bookkeeping & Income Tax Services
Form a Corporation in California or Any State:
Select State to Start Your Business Formation Here.

SunDoc Filings has filed thousands of corporations since 1999. Our skilled customer service staff is always ready to help.

Get Started Now
Or call one of our friendly staff members.
8-5 PST M-F