888-595-2747 8-5 PST M-F

Over 100,000 Entities Formed Since 1999

Click to see our ratings truspilot TrustScore 4.8 |  +2.6k reviews

Form a Corporation in Vermont

SunDoc's Vermont filings provide the best value: fast and economical.

  • Rush Filing Available

    No one is faster than SunDoc. We hand deliver documents to the Secretary of State in Vermont.

    • Routine: 5-8 Days returned to you filed.
    • Rush:
  • Experience

    Since 1999. Over 100,000 filings.

  • Name Availability

    We verify with the state. Competitors just look online which can lead to rejections.

  • Delivered to State &
    Emailed Back to You

    No cost, competitors charge.

We strive for excellence.

It's no accident that we have more repeat customers than our competitors.




Peace of Mind


A+ Rating from

Experienced staff and extensive knowledge.

Great website plus great customer service equals zero frustration.

You can form a business in any of the 50 US states online, and we're standing by to help if you need it.

We've helped thousands of new businesses get off the ground.

Our staff offers valuable expertise on forming or registering a company.

We want all customers to be 100% satisfied.


How to Incorporate in Vermont

It's easier than you think to incorporate your business in the state of Vermont. SunDoc is here to help as we offer paperwork handling and filing specifically for Vermont incorporations. The following article will outline the steps you'll need to take for this process.


Always speak with a licensed professional if you have questions or concerns about your own company's incorporation. While you don't need an attorney in order to incorporate, it's important to get professional help when you need it. 


The following article cannot be construed as tax, accounting, or legal advice.




Your Articles of Incorporation document is the main thing you'll need to file when incorporating your business in Vermont. Filing comes with a fee.


Within your articles and in general, you'll need several pieces of information as well. This includes: the new name and address of your company (the name must be available), the name of your registered agent, the type of corporation you’ve selected, the number of shareholders your new company will have (depending on your corporation type), and the number of shares you'll be authorizing your corporation to issue.


You also need to hold your first Board of Directors meeting, where you will appoint your officers and adopt your company bylaws. Bylaws don't need to be filed with the state, and your appointed officers do not need to be put on your Articles of Incorporation.


The last basic step is to file the Annual Report with Vermont state. Filing comes with a fee. Your Annual Report will list your company officers and directors. Taxation advice for the state of Vermont can be obtained by consulting a tax attorney or accountant in Vermont.




The most common type of corporation is the General Stock Corporation, with an unlimited potential number of shareholders. You may choose to be a Close Corporation, setting a limit in the articles on the number of shareholders (not to exceed 35). A Professional Corporation is mandated by Vermont for certain professionals.


The forms supplied by Vermont for download meet the minimum requirements of the Vermont Corporations Code, but you can create your own to meet your specific needs. Your attorney may well draw up a document from scratch.


To illustrate: the default articles of incorporation limit the corporation to one class of shares. This can be changed in a custom document. Similarly, initial directors can be named in the articles if desired, provided that all directors are included and sign the document.


Every corporation must have three officers: President, Treasurer and Secretary. One person can fill all these roles if desired. Generally a Vermont corporation must have a minimum of three directors, except for certain cases where no shares have been issued or the shareholders are less than three. Typically the bylaws will describe the number and limit of directors, unless the articles stipulate this.


You can change your Articles of Incorporation or your bylaws if necessary. Articles of Incorporation changes need to be done by filing an amendment with the state of Vermont. A formal meeting of your shareholders and directors needs to be held if you want to amend your bylaws.


At every meeting you hold with your corporation, you need to keep minutes. All meeting methods and times should be set forth in your bylaws, in addition to things like the power of your directors. All of this must also be in accordance with relevant Vermont law provisions.


A Corporate Records Book is where a corporation stores bylaws, company documents, stock papers and meeting minutes. Corporate Kits are useful compilations of standard documents to run the corporation, customized to your state and including such things as stock certificates, a corporate seal embosser, meeting minutes and such. SunDoc can supply you one if you wish, see our Corporate Kit page.


Registered Agent


You will need to choose a company or person to be your registered agent. This company or person has to be available at a consistent address at reliable business hours for possible communication from the state. SunDoc offers this service if you are interested.


To find out more about registered agents, go to our article: What is a Registered Agent? Why Do I Need One?


Name Search


Choosing a company name is extremely important. Your name will be rejected if you don't choose one that's available or if you choose one that resembles another business’s name too closely. It's also important that you do not mislead the public with your company name or lead people to deception. Check out other statutory requirements for your name choice as well.


The best way to choose a name that is legal, available, and won’t be rejected is to spend some time and effort making the choice. You can rush your own name searches with the State of Vermont, or SunDoc can perform your name availability check or reserve your corporation name for you.




You can apply for your EIN by submitting Form SS4 to the IRS, at no charge. SunDoc can apply for this on your behalf also. See our EIN page.


Next Steps


If you plan to structure your company as an S Corporation, you may want to read our article on C Corporation vs. S Corporation. This article provides general information on the differences between the two corporate tax structures.


To talk to a live voice for immediate assistance call us toll-free during business hours at 1-888-595-2747.

Ready to Incorporate?

  • 1 Check Name Availability

    Choose three names in order of preference and we will check availability.

  • 2 Prepare or Upload your Articles

    Our online form describes all required information.

  • 3 Specify Service Level and Options

    Select a filing package or choose from the menu options.


I initially ordered with LegalZoom for their expedited package but they said there is going to be a delay for a month! They kept giving me excuses about the backlog, blah blah blah. I had to get this LLC set up ASAP so I contacted SunDoc and they got it done for me in 24 hours! What a difference. I am very happy and will never go back to LegalZoom again. Great job SunDoc!

Chris W.

I've been forming entities with SunDoc Filings for years. They are incredible! Mainly because of their personal touch and customer service. They actually have a human answer the phone lol. In a world of automation and AI this company remains personal and human. They get the job done quickly and effectively every single time. I will never use another company when registering my companies.

Dion McIntosh Founder DearAmyBand.com

Kylene, Tressa & Sheila ROCK !!! We sent a name reservation last week and within 10 minutes the name reservation was completed. The next day we sent in a rush order and within 24 hours the entity was created !! Wow !! Thank You & you gals ROCK !!

Marc Vigil - Enrolled Agent - CEO - Budget Bookkeeping & Income Tax Services
Form a Corporation in California or Any State:
Select State to Start Your Business Formation Here.

SunDoc Filings has filed thousands of corporations since 1999. Our skilled customer service staff is always ready to help.

Get Started Now
Or call one of our friendly staff members.
8-5 PST M-F