888-595-2747 8-5 PST M-F

Over 100,000 Entities Formed Since 1999

Click to see our ratings truspilot TrustScore 4.8 |  +2.6k reviews

Form a Corporation in Montana

SunDoc's Montana filings provide the best value: fast and economical.

  • Rush Filing Available

    No one is faster than SunDoc. We hand deliver documents to the Secretary of State in Montana.

    • Routine: 5-7 Days returned to you filed.
    • Rush: Next business day returned to you filed (if received by 1 PM PST).
  • Experience

    Since 1999. Over 100,000 filings.

  • Name Availability

    We verify with the state. Competitors just look online which can lead to rejections.

  • Delivered to State &
    Emailed Back to You

    No cost, competitors charge.

We strive for excellence.

It's no accident that we have more repeat customers than our competitors.




Peace of Mind


A+ Rating from

Experienced staff and extensive knowledge.

Great website plus great customer service equals zero frustration.

You can form a business in any of the 50 US states online, and we're standing by to help if you need it.

We've helped thousands of new businesses get off the ground.

Our staff offers valuable expertise on forming or registering a company.

We want all customers to be 100% satisfied.


How to Incorporate in Montana

In the following article, you will learn how to incorporate your business in the state of Montana. The process is not complicated, and SunDoc is here to assist you with everything.


Many people think that you need an attorney in order to file for incorporation, but this is not true. At the same time, we recommend talking with a licensed professional if you have certain concerns or questions about your own unique incorporation process. The following article is meant as a guide and should not be construed as legal, accounting, or tax advice.




To create the corporation you file Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State, for a filing fee. You'll need a company name that's available to use. You'll need to know which of several types of corporation you're choosing, your corporate address, and who's your Registered Agent. Also you'll need to state how many shares you're authorizing the corporation to issue, and perhaps the number of shareholders, depending on type of corporation chosen.


Other things you'll need for the incorporation process include your EIN, which can be obtained from the IRS. Your EIN is your Federal Tax ID number.


An initial Board of Directors meeting should be held as well. At this meeting, you will appoint your corporation’s officers and adopt corporate bylaws. Neither of these things need to be included in your articles of incorporation or filed with the state. They are for our own company's records.


Your Annual Report should be filed with Montana Secretary of State after the filing your Articles of incorporation. The Annual Report form will list your directors and officers, and it comes with a filing fee. For questions concerning Montana taxation, speak with a tax attorney or accountant.




One step in incorporating your company in Montana is choosing the type of corporation you want to form. Most companies go with the General Stock Corporation; although you can also choose between a Professional Corporation and a Close Corporation.


The General Stock Corporation does not have a limit on the potential number of corporate shareholders you can have. Close Corporations cannot have more than 35 shareholders. Professional Corporations are rarer as they are mandated by the state of Montana and only for specific types of professionals.


Either use downloadable forms from the State of Montana (which meet all minimum Montana Corporations Code requirements), or have your attorney draw up custom documents for your unique needs.


To illustrate: the default articles of incorporation limit the corporation to one class of shares. This can be changed in a custom document. Similarly, initial directors can be named in the articles if desired, provided that all directors are included and sign the document.


Generally speaking, corporations in Montana need to have at least three directors. Unique situations may change this — for example, if no shares have been issued by your corporation or you have fewer than three shareholders.


You also need three officer positions: Secretary, treasurer, and president. If you'd like one individual to be all of these positions, you can do this. As for directors, the limit and number needs to be outlined in your bylaws unless it is included in your articles.


Need your bylaws changed? You will have to hold a formal meeting with your directors and shareholders and hold a vote on the matter. To amend your articles, file an amendment with the state.


At all meetings, minutes must be kept. In your corporate bylaws, include information such as the methods and times of your meetings as well as the powers of your directors. All information has to be in accordance with relevant provisions of Montana law.


A Corporate Records Book is where a corporation stores bylaws, company documents, stock papers and meeting minutes. Corporate Kits are useful compilations of standard documents to run the corporation, customized to your state and including such things as stock certificates, a corporate seal embosser, meeting minutes and such. SunDoc can supply you one if you wish, see our Corporate Kit page.


Registered Agent


Registered agents are another essential part of the incorporation process. You need to choose a registered agent. If you need help, we can help you outsource your routine by offering the service at SunDoc. 


Understanding what a registered agent is and what they do can be slightly complicated, so use this article to learn more: What is a Registered Agent? Why Do I Need One?


In general, however, their role is to receive communications from the state at a reliably known address and during business hours. A registered agent can be an individual or a company.


Name Search


The name you submit to the state in your articles of incorporation must be clearly available for you to use in the State of Montana according to the records of the Secretary of State. If not, your filing will be rejected. The name cannot be such as to mislead the public in some way, or resemble another so closely as to lead to deception. There are other statutory requirements also.


Both to comply with the law, and of course for your own best branding, you should spend some effort developing your company name. You can run searches yourself, or SunDoc is able to perform name searches or reserve your corporation name for you.




You can apply for your EIN by submitting Form SS4 to the IRS, at no charge. SunDoc can apply for this on your behalf also. See our EIN page.


Next Steps


If you plan to structure your company as an S Corporation, you may want to read our article on C Corporation vs. S Corporation. The article provides general information between the two corporate tax structures.


To talk to a live voice for immediate assistance call us toll-free during business hours at 1-888-595-2747.

Ready to Incorporate?

  • 1 Check Name Availability

    Choose three names in order of preference and we will check availability.

  • 2 Prepare or Upload your Articles

    Our online form describes all required information.

  • 3 Specify Service Level and Options

    Select a filing package or choose from the menu options.


I initially ordered with LegalZoom for their expedited package but they said there is going to be a delay for a month! They kept giving me excuses about the backlog, blah blah blah. I had to get this LLC set up ASAP so I contacted SunDoc and they got it done for me in 24 hours! What a difference. I am very happy and will never go back to LegalZoom again. Great job SunDoc!

Chris W.

I've been forming entities with SunDoc Filings for years. They are incredible! Mainly because of their personal touch and customer service. They actually have a human answer the phone lol. In a world of automation and AI this company remains personal and human. They get the job done quickly and effectively every single time. I will never use another company when registering my companies.

Dion McIntosh Founder DearAmyBand.com

Kylene, Tressa & Sheila ROCK !!! We sent a name reservation last week and within 10 minutes the name reservation was completed. The next day we sent in a rush order and within 24 hours the entity was created !! Wow !! Thank You & you gals ROCK !!

Marc Vigil - Enrolled Agent - CEO - Budget Bookkeeping & Income Tax Services
Form a Corporation in California or Any State:
Select State to Start Your Business Formation Here.

SunDoc Filings has filed thousands of corporations since 1999. Our skilled customer service staff is always ready to help.

Get Started Now
Or call one of our friendly staff members.
8-5 PST M-F