For already prepared documents, skip to step 3
Step 1: Check Name Availability
Choose three corporate names in order of preference and we check for availability.
Step 2: Prepare or Upload your Articles
Our online form will walk you through all required information.
Step 3: Specify Service Level and Service Options
Select the appropriate filing package or choose from the a la carte options.
Routine: 2 - 4 Business Days
Rush: 1 - 2 Business Days
Email confirmation within one hour during normal business hours.
Your filing is now on its way!
If we receive your Rhode Island Articles of Incorporation by 12 p.m. PST M-F, your corporation will be submitted and could be active the same day. This means your company will be given the submission date as your file date. If you mail the document to the state, like many filing services do, it will take several weeks longer for proof of filing.
Your Post-Filing Responsibilities
- File a Statement of Information: After the Articles of Incorporation are filed, the Secretary of State requires that you file a Statement of Information.
- Employer Identification Number: If you would like, we can obtain your EIN for your new company. Add it to your order and we will obtain the EIN within 24-48 hours.
- Rhode Island Corporate Kit: Our Kits include a custom binder, seal embosser, bylaws and meeting minutes, 20 Stock certificates, and more. You can order you kit at the time of filing or if you prefer, you can place the order individually at our Corporate Kit order page.
Add these optional services to your order at the time of filing:
- Certificate of Good Standing: You may need additional copies if you are going to qualify or register in other states. Most certificates are good for 90 days.
- Additional Certified Copy of Articles: You may need this in the future for banks, loans, or professional licensing requirements.
The SunDoc Filings Advantage
- We have filed thousands of documents since 1999
- All filings received by 12 p.m. PST are submitted same day
- Most filing companies mail in your filings
Rhode Island Corporate Formation Guidelines
The corporate name must contain the word "Corporation," "Company," "Incorporated," "Limited," "Corp.," "Co.," "Inc." or "Ltd." A corporate name found to be available may be reserved with the Secretary of State for a 120 day period for a filing fee of $50.
It is acceptable to state with a specific purpose clause, “The purposes for which the corporation is organized shall be to transact any and all lawful business for which corporations may be incorporated pursuant to the provisions of the Rhode Island Business Corporation Act.”
AUTHORIZED SHARES AND MINIMUM PAID IN CAPITAL
The maximum number of authorized shares for the minimum License Fee is 75,000,000 shares with or without par value. There is no minimum amount of paid in capital required to commence business.
Preemptive rights are granted in absence of a specific limitation or denial.
Cumulative voting is automatically denied unless specifically granted.
REGISTERED AGENT AND REGISTERED OFFICE
The corporation must maintain a registered agent and office to receive service of process in Rhode Island.
The minimum number of directors is one (1).
LIMITATION OF DIRECTORS' PERSONAL LIABILITY
The Articles of Incorporation may contain, within the limitations prescribed by the Rhode Island Business Corporation Act, a provision eliminating or limiting the personal liability of a director to the corporation or its stockholders for monetary damages for the breach of fiduciary duty as a director.
Minimum number of incorporators is one (1) and there is no requirement that the incorporator be a resident of Rhode Island.
Submit to the Secretary of State one (1) executed copy of the Original Articles of Incorporation and an executed copy of the "Duplicate Original Articles of Incorporation". The Secretary of State files the "Original Articles of Incorporation," and returns the "Duplicate Original Articles of Incorporation," upon which is his Certificate of Incorporation. License Fee (minimum fee of $160) is based on aggregate authorized shares with and without par value.
Please Note: A value of $100 is attributed to each authorized share without par value in computing the annual Corporate Franchise Tax.
How do I form a Rhode Island Corporation?
What are the advantages of forming a Rhode Island Corporation?
How do I obtain an EIN or Employer Identification number or Tax Payer ID number for my Rhode Island Corporation?
How do I form a Rhode Island S Corporation?
What are the advantages of a C Corporation in Rhode Island?
How do I obtain or prepare corporate bylaws for my Rhode Island Corporation?
What are the corporate bylaws and why are they so important for my Rhode Island corporation?
What is an Rhode Island corporate seal?
What is a Rhode Island corporate kit?