Apostille / Authentication Services at the California Secretary of State - $55


Apostille / Authentication Services at the Secretary of State $55 (plus state fees)

SunDoc Filings can obtain a California Apostille and California authentications for your birth certificate, notarized document, notarized transcript, or legal documents. Since we are located in Sacramento, we submit your document to the California Secretary of State the same day we receive it. The Secretary of State will take an average of 2-3 business days to apostille or authenticate most documents for international use in accordance with the Hague Convention.

Our service fee for a routine apostille is 2-3 business days is $55 per document plus the Secretary of State fee of $26 ($20 filing fee + $6 counter fee). Our service fee for a 24 hour rush filing is $155 per document plus the Secretary of State fee of $26 per document.


Step 1: Enter type of document & destination country   

Step 2:  Notarize document & submit online order form

Step 3:  Mail or FedEx Original Document to us at:

     SunDoc Filings                       
     7801 Folsom Blvd., Suite 202
     Sacramento, CA  95826


SunDoc Filings has filed thousands of corporations since 1999. Our skilled Account Managers are always ready to help.

Additional Apostille Information

The California Secretary of State provides authentication of public official signatures on documents (international certificates) to be used outside the United States of America. The country of destination determines whether an Apostille or Authentication is applied per the Hague Convention. Please check the Hague Convention list of countries to make sure your country is included prior to requesting an apostille.

The most common types of documents submitted for legalization include:


Marriage licenses

Letters relating to degrees

References and job certification


Birth Certificates

Home studies

Patent Applications

Articles of Incorporation

School records

Powers of attorney


Papers for adoption purposes


Merger Agreements

Deeds of assignment

Certificates of non-marital status


Certificates of Amendment

Distributorship Agreements



These documents must be current certified copies or must have been notarized by a California Notary Public. For school records you must obtain a notarized copy of record from the high school, college, or university, etc. prior to forwarding to the Notary Public Section for authentication.




Apostille Guidelines and Tips


What is an Apostille?

An Apostille is similar to an international notary stamp and authenticates the document so it can be used in another country. An Apostille attached to a document verifies that the document and its signature are authentic.


Countries that accept or participate in the Hague Convention?

The Countries above have agreed to recognize valid documents issued by other signatory countries.  The Apostille ensures that documents issued in one signatory country will be recognized as valid in another signatory country.


How does the process work?

First, the document must be notarized or certified.  If a document was issued by a local government agency, then it is probably certified. 

The Secretary of State can take a certified or notarized document and attach the Apostille.  You can then provide the Hague Convention member country that document as “Authentic”. 

If you are in a foreign country and need a document notarized, it may still be possible.  You can ask the body that issued the document to send a new copy directly to the notary.  You may be able to get the Secretary of State to notarize the document and then attach the Apostille

What Types of Documents Can You Apostille?

SunDoc Filings can get an Apostille for most certified or notarized documents at the California Secretary of State.

We may be able to obtain certified copies for some documents - generally those issued by a public agency.  For some documents you will have to show up in person to get them. For some documents, we may need you to sign an affadavit giving us permission to obtain the document for you.  There are some documents that only you will be able to obtain in person. 

What Types of Corporate Documents Can You Obtain?


We can first obtain the certified documents for you and then obtain the Apostille from the Secretary of State.  Here is a list of common corporate documents that we can obtain for an Apostille.

  • Formation Articles
  • Good Standing Certificate
  • Statement of Information
  • Statement and Designation (Foreign Companies)
  • Certification of Dissolution/Cancellation
  • Cancellation
  • Restated Articles
  • Certificate of Surrender
  • Statement of Conversion
  • Amendments
  • Mergers